Teacher educator institute on facilitating practice
wednesday, march 14 - friday, march 16, 2018
Excellent teacher educators facilitate instructional activities that provide teacher candidates with robust and meaningful opportunities to apply and improve the skills of PK-12 teaching. Join TeacherSquared, in partnership with the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and Springfield College, and teacher educators across the state, for a Teacher Educator Institute on the facilitation of teacher candidate practice. This Institute is for new or experienced Massachusetts educator preparation faculty interested in collaborating with other teacher educators to deepen their own facilitation of teacher candidate practice.
The focus of this three-day Institute will be grounded in the question: What makes for successful facilitation of teacher candidate practice, and how can I improve my facilitation of this practice? Using a conceptual framework as the centerpiece of this Institute, we will break down the facilitation of practice into three parts:
- Does practice happen? Are teacher candidates practicing consistently, and practicing the authentic work of PK-12 teaching?
- Does practice shine? Is your facilitation of practice high-quality, and are teacher candidates receiving appropriate feedback on their performance?
- Does practice matter? Is your facilitation of practice making teacher candidates more skilled?
Participants of this Institute will walk away having engaged in conversations that address:
- How to commit to and protect practice
- How to prioritize what content to practice
- How to align content with an appropriate practice type
- How to create a culture of practice
- How to facilitate high-quality practice
- How to provide feedback on practice
- How to collect and use data from practice to improve teacher candidate skill
- Wednesday, March 14th - Thursday, March 15th (required)
- 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday, March 16th (optional, though strongly encouraged)
- 9:00am - 3:00pm
Parking: Parking is available in lots 4, 5, or 9. (The entrance to Lot 4 is 260 Wilbraham Ave, Springfield, MA)
Hotel: If you are planning to stay overnight, a block of rooms has been reserved at the Hilton Garden Inn (800 Hall of Fame Ave, Springfield, MA 01105) for your convenience at a discounted rate of $149/night + taxes.
- To reserve a room, please call 413-886-8000 and refer to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education as the group name. Note: The room block and rate will expire on 2/14.
This event is a private training for teacher educators associated with approved educator preparation providers in Massachusetts.
Registration fees for this event have been waived by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and TeacherSquared.
In registering, you are committing to attending and participating in this Institute. Cost of travel and lodging not included. If for some reason you are unable to attend, you must communicate with ESE no later than one week prior and may be responsible for the $800 registration fee. Participants who attend this event need not have any prior experience facilitating teacher candidate practice, but will need to have a basic level of familiarity with accessing documents and spreadsheets on Google Drive.
Registration for this event is now closed.
For any additional questions, please email email@example.com.
*Attendance will be determined on a first-come, first-serve basis. If the response is much higher than anticipated, we will work to select a group of participants that represent the range of contexts of providers in Massachusetts.